31st Annual Halawa Xeriscape Garden Open House and Unthirsty Plant Sale
Enjoy having playtime with plants at the Board of Water Supply’s (BWS) 31st Annual Halawa Xeriscape Garden Open House and Unthirsty Plant Sale, which will be held on Saturday, August 3, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
The activities at this family-friendly and admission-free event are focused on xeriscaping, a creative way to reduce outdoor water use through efficient landscaping. The plant sale will be a fun-filled day for the whole family. Event-goers can expect the following:
- More than ten local plant vendors providing a variety of less-thirsty plants such as longevity spinach, peperomia, pregnant onion, rosemary, and more.
- Xeriscape workshops by garden experts.
- Social media contest; play to win awesome prizes.
- Keiki activities.
- Educational booths and plant crafts:
- Commission on Water Resource Management
- Da Bug Doctor
- Hawaiian Electric
- Master Gardeners of Oahu
- Plant Quarantine Branch – Hawaii State Department of Agriculture
- Scenic Hawaii
- Storm Water Quality Branch – City and County of Honolulu, Department of Facility Maintenance
- Refuse Division – City and County of Honolulu, Department of Environmental Services
- Free soil conditioner.
- Cactus and Succulent Society of Hawaii display of award-winning cacti and succulents.
- A Water for People food concession where proceeds support safe drinking water and sanitation projects in third world countries.
Xeriscaping is based on seven fundamental principles that serve as guidelines on how to plan, plant, and maintain a garden that takes advantage of natural climate conditions to make efficient use of irrigation. Some of the principles include growing “unthirsty” plants, using mulch, and installing proper irrigation. To learn more about xeriscaping, the Halawa Xeriscape Garden, or water-saving tips, visit www.boardofwatersupply.com.
Proceeds from the plant sale help support educational activities at the Halawa Xeriscape Garden. The open house is co-sponsored by the Friends of Halawa Xeriscape Garden, a non-profit community group that supports educational programs related to water conservation in the landscape. The Halawa Xeriscape Garden is located at 99-1268 Iwaena Street, in Halawa Valley’s Central Park industrial area.
For more information call the BWS at 808-748-5041.